courtesy of the Italian firefighters
The incident occurred at the Ca’di Rajo winery in Treviso, northern Italy.
A winemaker in Italy died while trying to save his colleague who had passed out in a vat of wine, according to Italian firefighters.
The authorities responded this Thursday to the emergency call at the Ca’di Rajo winery in San Polo di Piave, in the city of Treviso, in northern Italy.
According to firefighters, the man in his forties was trying to save his colleague, who had fainted from carbon monoxide fumes while carrying out maintenance work.
The two men were working in a processing tank that had just been emptied of wine for bottling when they were overcome by fumes from the fermentation process.
According to firefighters, none of the men were wearing breathing apparatus or safety harnesses.
View this interactive content on CNN.com
“We are overwhelmed by pain, for us they are two brothers, two children. “My thoughts are with these two men, who grew up with us, and with their families,” winery owner Simone Cecchetto said in a statement provided to CNN.
“We pray that the injured young man recovers as soon as possible,” the statement continued, describing the incident as an “enormous tragedy.”
The general secretary of the CISL Belluno Treviso local union calls for more measures to prevent workplace deaths, citing a recent call by Italian President Sergio Mattarella to strengthen training after a series of workplace accidents, including a man who died when he was dropped on top rounds of cheese. earlier this summer.
“Not even the call of the President of the Republic to pressure us to do more for safety, to stop this daily massacre of deaths at work is enough,” Massimiliano Paglini said in a statement.